Court Reporter salary Florida
Find out which Florida schools offer court reporting degree programs. See requirements, school information and learn about job prospects for a career as a court reporter in Florida. Schools offering .
What You Need to Know
Many community colleges and technical schools and centers in Florida offer certificate and associate's degree program in court reporting. These programs can last anywhere from 28 months to three years. Courses teach students how to use transcription machines and should also provide them with a basic overview of legal proceedings. In the state of Florida, these programs should prepare graduates to sit for voluntary certification and earn entry-level court reporter positions.
Atlantic Technical Center
- Program Name: Certificate in Court Reporting
- Program Length: Approximately 28 months
- Tuition: (Set by the state of Florida) About $7, 955 in tuition and fees for the entire program, based on a minimum 12 consecutive months of Florida residency; non-resident figure is calculated on a higher rate (cost for 2012)
- Prerequisites: Assessment test (unless you already hold an associate's degree from an accredited school); online or in-person orientation
- School Type: 2-year, public; nearly 1, 000 students (all undergraduate)
- Address: 4700 Coconut Creek Parkway, Coconut Creek, FL 33063
- Phone: 754-321-5100
Approved by the NCRA, this program consists of about 2, 850 real-time hours and will take you about 28 months to complete. The program is presented in three sections, and you must complete all sections in order to qualify as a court reporter. Completion of the first two sections only qualifies you as a scopist or transcriptionist. A scopist is someone who edits transcriptions. Included in the program are courses in legal and medical terminology, computer-compatible stenograph theory, computer-aided transcription and courtroom procedures.
Once you complete the program, you're eligible to apply for the Florida Ready to Work credential, which attests to the fact that you possess the fundamental skills to get the job done and are ready to work. To earn this credential, you must take a series of assessment tests administered by the Florida Department of Education, which determine your ability and fitness levels. In addition, upon successful completion of the program, you may be able to apply up to 27 credits toward an associate's degree at Broward College.
Sheridan Technical Center
- Program Length: About 28 months
- Tuition: (Set by the state of Florida) $7, 500 in tuition and fees for the entire program for Florida residents; non-resident figure is calculated on a higher rate (cost for 2012)
- Admission Requirements: Orientation, assessment test, interview
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 1, 200 students (all undergraduate)
- Address: 5400 Sheridan Street, Hollywood, FL 33021
- Phone: 754-321-5400
The NCRA-approved court reporter certificate program at Sheridan Technical Center is an online program. Consisting of 2, 850 hours, it should take you about 28 months to complete. Courses include specialized vocabularies pertaining to the medical, legal, industrial and insurance fields, as well as vocabulary used in governmental programs. You'll learn how to differentiate between - and record - multiple voices. You'll also learn about the use of the Phoenix Theory for machine shorthand, as well as Computer-Assisted Realtime Translation (CART) for closed-captioning purposes. You may also have a chance to complete an internship at a school-partnered facility or agency.
Miami Dade College
- Program Name: Associate of Science in Court Reporting
- Program Length: 2.5-3 years
- Tuition: $112 tuition and fees per credit hour for in-state residents; $397 tuition and fees per credit hour for out-of-state students (cost for 2012-2013 academic year)
- Admission Requirements: Sit for CPT/PERT assessment tests (unless SAT scores are sufficiently high); meet with faculty advisor
- School Type: 4-year, public; almost 64, 000 students (all undergraduate)
- Address: 300 NE 2nd Avenue, Miami, FL 33132
- Phone: 305-237-8888